Exercise Physiology and Type 2 Diabetes
Regular exercise has been proven to play a critical role in the management of type 2 diabetes and reduce the risk of long-term complications.
Exercise completed at the right duration and intensity can improve diabetic control by:
- Improving insulin sensitivity
- Improving blood sugar levels
- Decreasing risk of cardiovascular complications
- Decreasing waist circumference
- Improving blood pressure
- Decreasing body weight
- Decreasing body fat
At Insight, our team of AEPs are passionate about assisting our clients with type 2 diabetes by providing continual support, advice and education to encourage optimal self-management of the condition through exercise.
If you are a type 2 diabetic, you qualify for an assessment with our exercise physiologist plus 8 gentle exercise classes/group education sessions through Medicare. This is in addition to other Medicare referrals – ask your GP for the type 2 diabetes allied health group referral under Medicare. Click here to download the form and print it.
Diabetes Education Services
At Insight, Chris our Credentialled Diabetes Educator is able to provide education to assist people with diabetes in the management of their condition, and endeavour to answer your questions:
- What is diabetes? Why does it occur? How does it affect me?
- What can I do to manage diabetes and still lead a normal, healthy life and minimise the complications?
- What is blood glucose monitoring, how do I do it, and how can I use it to assist my diabetes management?
- How do exercise and diet help manage diabetes?
- Which health professionals might I need to see to help manage my diabetes?
- How do my medications help me manage diabetes?
- If I’m taking insulin, how do I use my insulin pen device?
If you have type 1, type 2 or pre-diabetes and need advice or education in any of these areas, someone to talk to get your head around this complex condition, reassurance and/or patient education to improve your self-confidence in managing diabetes, we are here to help!
Contact us today to discuss your eligibility for a chronic disease management plan through Medicare.
More of our services